The Youth Mobility Program between Greece and Australia entered into force on 1 July 2019.
The Program is based on the Memorandum of Understanding between the Government of the Hellenic Republic and the Government of Australia on a “Work and Holiday” Visa Arrangement, signed in Canberra, on May 14th 2014 and was ratified by the Greek Law No. 4353/2015 (National Gazette No. 173, Issue A, 14-12-2015).
This pioneering Agreement provides for simplified procedures so that 500 young Greek and Australian citizens, aged 18 to 31, may have the opportunity to travel and work in each other’s countries for up to 12 months, under the condition that they satisfy following conditions:
- They should have not previously participated in a program for the Youth Mobility (Work and Holiday) or in a program for Work Holidays in Greece
- They should have a degree of tertiary education or they have successfully completed at least two (2) years undergraduate university studies
- They should have adequate living resources for their personal expenses
- They cannot be employed by one (1) employer for more than six (6) months, unless the appropriate permit is granted. They cannot work as an au-pair.
- During their stay in Greece they are not allowed to take part in studies or training for more than four (4) months
- The main purpose of the program is recreation, the work should be appendant to the recreation
The entry visa – which is also a residence permit – provides the right to work and study in Greece.
Holders of this entry visa may not extend their stay in Greece beyond the authorised period provided (12 calendar months).
Details regarding the application process and relevant documentation can be found in the following links:
A. Work and Holiday Visa Australia information
For Australian applicants:
B. Visa Application Form
C. Work and Holiday Visa MoU
The Greek competent Authority is the Department for Development Initiatives for Employment of the General Secretariat for the Youth Generation, as referred in the Decision no. 6506/K4 of the General Secretariat for Lifelong Learning and Youth Generation of the Ministry of Education of the Hellenic Republic (as stipulated in the Article no. 1 of the Law No. 4353/2015 – National Gazette No. 173, Issue A, 14-12-2015).
The requirements are as follows:
- Name and surname of the applicant,
- Date of birth, passport number,
- Residence address,
- Education documentation,
- Confirmation of not having participated in the past in the same programme and
- Confirmation of all the relevant prerequisites as referred in the No. 212712/K4/5-12-2017 decision of the Ministries of Education and Foreign Affairs (National Gazette No. 4488, issue B).
These letters are provided after invitation from the General Secretariat and they have to be included in the full application package; the deadline for submission will be 1 month after the invitation, which will take place twice a year.
These prerequisites are:
- Signed application for the letter,
- Valid passport’s copy,
- Formal declaration that the reason is to visit Australia for holidays for 12 months without accompaniment by dependent persons,
- Formal declaration of not having participated in any such programme before,
- Formal declaration that there is no criminal record for the applicant,
- Formal declaration that the applicant has sufficient funds to issue her/his tickets and cover her/his first expenses for at least one month (those funds are stipulated at 3.000 Euros and are reciprocal for both countries),
- Copy of degree of education,
- Certified copies of other degrees (if obtained in other countries, they should be accompanied by a certificate of their formal recognition by Hellenic NARIC (ΔΟΑΤΑΠ) or in the case of students, a formal document that certifies the continuation of their studies after the successful completion of two years of studies,
- Certificates of English as foreign language at least at B2 level,
- 30 € (Euros) fee for the application.
Youth, residing in Queensland, interested in participating in the Programme, can apply to the Embassy of Greece in Canberra or to the Consulate-General of Greece in Sydney.
Embassy of Greece
9 Turrana Street
Yarralumla ACT 2600
Tel: 02 – 62710100
Consulate-General of Greece in Sydney
Level 2, 219-223 Castlereagh Street
Sydney NSW 2000
Tel: 02 – 9284 5500