Converting a valid Australian Driver’s Licence into the corresponding Greek Licence.
Competent Department in Greece:
The regional Government Transport and Communications Department of the applicant’s place of residence in Greece.
The applicant must:
- Have his/her ordinary place of residence in Greece
- Hold a valid Driver’s Licence issued in Australia
- Not hold another Driver’s Licence issued by Greece or another EU Member State (including Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein)
- Have reached the required age for each Driver’s Licence category
- Meet the minimum physical and mental capacity requirements for each Driver’s Licence category.
- Valid Australian or foreign passport if the applicant is not a Greek national or a valid Greek passport or Police issued Identity Card if he/she is a Greek national.
- Valid Residence Permit or other equivalent document if the applicant is not a Greek national, issued at least 185 days before the application or 95 days if the applicant is a national of the EU or Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein and which will be valid until the day of receipt of the Greek Driver’s Licence.
- The Australian Driver’s Licence, which must be valid. (The Driver’s Licence must be an Open Licence NOT a Provisional Licence.
- One recent passport size colour photograph.
- Current Driver’s Licence History Report and Current Traffic History Report from the State Government Transport Department in Australia. Please Note: As these two Reports require the Apostille seal affixed to them by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, electronically sent Reports are not accepted. Original signed hard copy Reports should be requested. Contact the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in your State to make an appointment to have the Apostille seal affixed.
All of the above documents, with the exception of the two Reports, will be taken to the relevant Transport and Communications Department of the applicant’s place of residence in Greece by the applicant.
The two Reports will be given to the Consular Authority in Australia, who will translate them and forward them to the relevant Transport and Communications Department of the applicant’s place of residence in Greece.
Please advise the Consulate of the address of the Transport and Communications Department in Greece that you will be presenting your documents to, so that the Consulate can forward the Reports to the same address.
N.B. The Transport and Communications Department in Greece will not accept the above Reports from the applicant.